Friday, November 7, 2008

A mismanaged OPI assignment and some lessons

Technically, phone interpreting will be performed in the long run doing simultaneous. Meaning that the OPI interpreter who does not do simultaneous will be out. But we are not there yet. It came as an urgent request. IR meeting over the phone, in less than 24 hours. I told them I don't do IR. IR is daunting. I will do rocket science, quantum physics, Italian cuccina, but IR, God forbid! They pleaded. I said OK. Now, a few hours later on, the client calls, wants me to use two phones because they don't have the proper system for call-in confcall. Weird I think. Juggling with two phones will add stress, but who cares. Now, I understand that the client abroad won't lead the conversation, but only listen. However, he is not over the confcall but hooked to my mobile only. Now I hear for the first time that their contact here will converse with the Japanese side and I will translate back, meaning that they have tried in hurry to set a make-shift environment for ... remote, simultaneous interpretation! Add to this minor technical glitches like your standard echo thanks to their speaker phone. No one is managing the conversation, no go sign and now they start chatting full speed after angrily asking me to put my second phone mike on mute. I tell them I do interpretation, consecutive at that, and I am not in charge of technicalities. It won't go that way, anyway. I explain the situation abroad. They will end up listening to a summary of the conversation by their local agent later on. Good for them. I am now out of the loop, glad for this and angry at the management mess. But again, simultaneous OPI will lead, which does not mean that consecutive, liaison type of interpreting is dead. But the clients must be taught about the difference and get guidance on how to make things run. Do I have to go deep into learning IR? Do I have to go into simultaneous? Why not for IR learning, granted they say consecutive IR will be in demand from now on. As for simultaneous, a little bit late probably. And consecutive? It is not a poor version for B grade interpreters unable to do sim, it is a full-fledged, unrecognized specially in its own, and a fascinating one at that. But you cares?

0 comments:

 
Free Blogger Templates