Thursday, March 19, 2009

Testing course

I had a great opportunity for the last session of the introductory course to test a formula that aims to recreate in the classroom the standard business presentation setting. I played the presenter using a ppt document found online. As I mentioned a few weeks ago, there are plenty of corporate and product presentation ppt documents to grab for free. I had the students come in front of others, one at a time to interpret my presentation one slide at a time. My speech was mostly improvised and we stopped after each slide rendering to discuss about specific issues. I felt the student were enjoying this course. A few remarks for next time when there will be a next time.

- Ideally, the course would be done in tandem with a native teacher so that we can spend the first our with document in B to A, then the following hour with a document from A to B.
- In order to give opportunities to practice A to B, I enrolled the listening students to improvise and ask questions to the presenter. It certainly added a dose of reality in the overall setting

How to make it better:

- I, the presenter, should less rely on improvisation and prepare the presentation in deep
- My presentation should be recorded on the spot to allow and discuss the student's rendering based on my speech relistening. This should be technically easy to perform, however it might impair the flow of the course
- More explanations prior to the exercise should be given to the students, in particular stressing that they will be asked to contribute by asking questions

It was a first trial already pretty much satisfying. I hope we can do and develop this further.

0 comments:

 
Free Blogger Templates