Saturday, March 14, 2009

Trendy Japanese

until it lasts ... I won't jump buying this one when it is released, just flip through it in the bookshops, but 研究社 is to deliver いまどきのニホン語 和英辞典. As far as I am aware of, it may be the first bilingual dictionary that takes Japanese as the starting point for rendering colloquial, trendy and slang expressions into English. I saw the reverse approach, from dirty English to (dirty?) Japanese in several books some years ago. I am curious about how sex related slang is dealt with or watered down as there is no Japanese-Japanese slang dictionary I know of. Ask your average Japanese and you'll get a puzzled look with an answer like "there is no slang in Japan". As far as business and tech interpreters are concerned, the book won't be a priority.

0 comments:

 
Free Blogger Templates