Friday, May 22, 2009

The thrill of mobile interpreting

Once a way much lighter Mac gets released, I will go mobile more than ever, ready to work from anywhere in Tokyo. Is it a thrilling perspective? I don't know but I want to give it a try.

Short notice interpretation remote and onsite has been around for some time. In Japan, I don't know the facts. But in the UK at least, there is a lively description of what readiness means for a public service interpreter called to deliver in various tensed or tragic situations. I already mentioned the book in a previous post and re-read it today : Public Service Interpreting - The first Steps - by Ann Corsellis. It's a good book. I don't do public service currently but I am advertising all the same short notice availability in Tokyo business districts within 1 hour when available for business and technology. The shortest time from call to delivery I experienced was maybe 4 hours so I did not have to rush. I do think it makes sense as an offer and the sense of it will grow over time, as time is the limit indeed. I don't mean it's a good idea for a client to call and expect someone to rush at the meeting table and save the day, but if saving the day requires to jump into a context with scarce information, I am ready to jump in.

0 comments:

 
Free Blogger Templates