Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Wanting to help

The interpreter is not to intervene in the dialog. Old belief. The only non-intervention would be the dialogic situation where there is no interpreter. Keeping neutrality is monitoring and keeping quiet that urge to intervene for the purpose of helping. The very urge to help may be inappropriate, and the intensity of it may depend on matters of each interpreter's temperament. But I believe a good interpreter wants to help. The problem left then is the managing of that urge. Calling for a total, unconditional suppression of that urge to help is utterly insane although necessary at the same time. There is an inherent incompatibility here. Through an agent as it is the case now - yes, an exception because it is a Japanese agency hiring me, a gaijin (but there's a story behind) - the client is still more my client than his counterpart outside Japan. As I follow through days of conversation, remote, their relationship, I have to suppress the urge to help, my client first, and make him maybe achieve what he wants. Which is by the way more or less what the other side wants too. For a reason I don't get and I should not think about - don't think, just interpret says the voice behind - my client doesn't take appointment with that other side far away. And as a result, there miss each other quite often these days. If I were him, I would email that other side and make sure to set up a time to call, with one or two alternative times. Which is what my client is not doing. Am I to suggest him this is not an efficient way to do business?

0 comments:

 
Free Blogger Templates