Thursday, November 20, 2008

Something good in it

I want to see this as a positive sign. Although hardly "a lot", I have been contacted by potential customers via the net more than during any previous period I can remember. Higher yen may be a factor, but the mere growing usage of the Internet as a tool to source people like me is certainly on the increase. This is a gleam of hope and concerns. How to leverage a trend which shall grow further? What about the competition, that is, other freelancers here in Japan? What may come next? Leverage: fine tuning the web presentation. More Google Ad investment? No, enough already. Systematically ask customers how but also why they looked for resource and found, selected me, and grab background data on their purpose and motivation. The competition? Will grow, that is, the number of interpreters here advertising their gears. But to what extend? Based on cultural attitudes and market structure, I don't expect any major changes. Japanese interpreters will keep a low web presence, which is a good thing for me. What next? I see a surge in short-notice requests, a mixed bag of hope and fear, fear when it comes to sudden cancellation of short-notice appointment. What to work on? Better strategies to work on fast, focused, subject specific preparation. Keep focused on balancing fear of market slump with tangible facts that may contradict the fear. There may be something good coming out of the crunch.

0 comments:

 
Free Blogger Templates