Monday, March 2, 2009

In Italian too

I flipped through a book I was suggested to read by Kumiko Tamaru. The title is 目からハム.
Kumiko Tamaru is a veteran interpreter of Italian. I don't read much records of interpreters because whenever I do, I feel even more discouraged than now. They all seem to write in the same fashion, swooning and joking about how it used to be, the mistakes they did, and how it is now so hard with all the competition but "thanks god, I'll be soon out of this business". There is also a chapter on the quality of Japanese speaking by Italians. It is a sure sell to make your readers laugh on how tricky Japanese can be, just like any other language. Yes competition is terrible, I could fathom it by myself. Yes, the Olympics and any international hooplas recruiting "volonteer" interpreters are a kill to the profession. I wrote about it in this blog some years ago. It is not that I am brighter than anyone else in this profession including the veteran and super hyper competent I do not belong to. It is simply that going to such conclusions, getting insights into the profession (a plural is requested here) is accessible to anyone interpreter starting to think about the job, reading articles (do you catch articles with the keywords interpreting, interpreter, interpretation using Google News? I do) and making sense out of a quite limited scope of coverage. Blogging about it is a powerful way to tie up the bits and others than me are trying and do the job of exposing the many faces of the profession(s). You don't need to be a 35 years veteran although a 35 years veteran do deserve respect. Only, you can hardly hear and read them online and their testimonies do not usually come with suggestions for the future. I heard that 50% of Japanese language learners in French universities call it quit within a year or two. Some academics are lamenting the draining away. I think a drop out rate of 90% would be much better. Ms. Tamaru would never dare nor think about spelling things frankly as these. But she will soon quit the job, so who cares about the future?

0 comments:

 
Free Blogger Templates