Monday, April 6, 2009

What to do with an SRS in the context of interpretation self-training?

I am asking the question, but I don't have answers yet. I used a Spaced Repetition Software years ago and I am now using Anki, but there are many other. AJATT put SRS at the core in terms of tools in the long term effort to learn Japanese - or any other language - by oneself. AJATT author stresses that Japanese must be learned in the end in Japanese, and that sentences collected in the SRS archive must not carry translations on the reverse side of the flashcard. I tend to agree with this approach. Now, what are we about to do with an SRS in the context of interpretation training? Many SRS now allow to insert audio snippets, so a multisided SRS entry could be a three fold card with in order of appearance : audio recording of a sentence -> vocabulary notes -> script of the original sentence. The second and third sides could be reordered on the some ground I am still not grasping. You could grow a collection of annotated sentences for interpretation training to be used alone or in the classroom. I know that short sentences are not the real world as you don't uniquely face situations where short sentences are delivered. Reminder : I am always putting my feet in the shoes of the liaison interpreter, where dialog interpreting is the main dish. But the same format could be used for longer sentences iterations from beginners to intermediate levels. I am going to test this approach right away.

0 comments:

 
Free Blogger Templates