Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Why take notes

Tonight course took a turn I was not expecting. I decided to introduce the subject of note taking by writing down a few sentences from the recording we were using. From there, we stripped down the sentences to a minimum of vital signs, which was the perfect way to reinforce the never ending message that interpretation is about transferring a meaning uttered in L1 to L2. Once the stripped down version of the sentences well perceived, I wiped out the original sentence and diverted onto various issue to come back to the notes and show that there were more than one way to "translate" it, or let's say, paraphrase the message. When I briefly mentioned the SVO approach, a student asked how to apply this in real. So I called her to the whiteboard and had her take note of my paraphrasing the original discourse. It was the perfect situation to reinforce the message that notes were traces of ideas, and not the exact wording. She had difficulties with "telecom operator" and wrote down a contracted version of the two words but I told her it might be already too long to expect and write down all this in a real assignment. I suggested a possible solution to be the kanji 通 as in 通信. It perfectly examplified both the need for sparse notes, meaning substitution requisite at times, and listening being more important than note taking. i will have to fine tune this approach but it was a good evolution on the previous exposure method.

0 comments:

 
Free Blogger Templates