Friday, March 19, 2010

Guiding clients to get results

I am having these days a kind of flashback at a situation I witnessed a good ten years ago at an embassy. I don't remember the setting, nor the subject. But there was an interpreter and I was sitting close by a friend who was working at that embassy. And at one point, the interpreter interpreted a question in a way clear enough to me at least that it would not yield the expected kind of answer. I tipped my friend but he quipped back that there was no reason to intervene. I was shocked. Work with an interpreter who works for you, that is, for your benefit. The liaison interpreting must guide clients into getting them having the results they are after. That is why I always ask clients ahead of time about their purposes, objectives, what they want to take away back home, what they want to avoid, what they want to yield. I have yet to find anything pertaining to the need to work close to your client, not close to the lofty goal of neutrality.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 comments:

 
Free Blogger Templates