Monday, December 20, 2010

Are you worth something

"As a long-time freelance interpreter, I feel like I am worth nothing if I keep my experience for my own sake. Therefore, I think all experienced interpreters have the responsibility to share their experience with their juniors to encourage them to enter the world of interpreting as a new promising career."

I picked this in a thorough and rare article about the profession at large published in 2005 in the online Translation Journal, authored by Mr. Izak Morin in Indonesia.

If worthiness is a consequence and sharing professional experience, I am afraid the profession is massively lagging behind.

Among the rare reasons cited, some by non-practitioners, I remember the fact that interpreters are dealing with confidential stuff, therefore being mute as a clam is de rigueur. How come then this doesn't apply to translation where community interaction is thriving? The usual stance is that interpreters are busy. Just like translators. 

Anyway, my take is that there is a need for many more Mr. Morin.

0 comments:

 
Free Blogger Templates