Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Elitism

An unexpected brief encounter with a top class interpreter today brought clearer light on what is eating the innards of that small French-Japanese interpreters microcosm. Let's call her M. M. then right into the beginning of the conversation expresses her dissatisfaction at the fact that E. another interpreter, is listed in a public place I am dealing with as providing simultaneous services whereas "she is not competent to do that". I have worked as a matter of fact with E. I don't know about her competence in simultaneous but she performed very well in consecutive. And what if E. is not up to the requisite for simul? How M. is threatened by the fact? Is she feeling threatened, bruised or simply disgusted? She wants me to apply filtering to the people - then I should filter myself out - but I can't tell her my view because a moron coming from nowhere breaks into the conversation as French morons so casually do.

So the top class want exclusivity. Me think that even without a visible association, they already enjoy exclusivity. What do they want then? That other interpreters of any rank by no means associate. They want to keep the implicit hierarchy, they don't want to mingle with low down beginner, except in the classrooms. They don't want to share whatever they could share if they knew the meaning of that verb. They don't want to communicate. But the problem is that down at the bottom of the mountain, the B and C class interpreters don't want to socialize either. Actually, I don't know if they know what they want. I suspect they can't even think about that. Elitism up, lobotomy down. Oy, Oy, Oy! (a little redundoncy here)

0 comments:

 
Free Blogger Templates